A message from President
Barry K. Logan, PhD
Forensic Science Education and Mentorship: Our Path Forward
February 2014 is the 66th Annual Meeting of the AAFS. It is also the fifth anniversary of publication of the National Academy of Sciences Report on Strengthening Forensic Science in the United States: A Path Forward, a milestone in our profession. At the 2014 meeting we will reflect on how far we have come down that path, what progress has been made, what the gaps are, and the opportunities for the AAFS provide leadership for the future. Prominent among those opportunities are in Forensic Science Education and Mentorship.
The AAFS primary mission is in support of education: Secondary education through our student academy and summer outreach programs; Tertiary education through the activities of FEPAC and our membership in teaching and training tomorrows scientists in the workplace and in Colleges and Universities; and continuing professional education and lifelong learning through our annual meeting and section activities – a key component for certification and accreditation.
To complement our traditional program of workshops, breakfasts, and platform and poster sessions, the 2014 program committee is charged with putting together sessions examining the Academy’s current and future roles in:
- The growth of forensic science education, and the evolving role of FEPAC.
- Giving feedback on how well Colleges and Universities are doing in preparing young scientists for the field.
- Setting the standard for continuing professional education.
- Engaging with Colleges and Universities for opportunities in research and doctoral training relevant to the forensic sciences.
- Meeting the mentorship needs of our members.
- Providing career development for forensic scientists.
- Reaching out to high school teachers and promoting forensic science as a teaching tool for basic concepts in physics, chemistry and biology.
- Identifying opportunities for, and barriers to, providing forensic science education to attorneys and judges.
Check back often for meeting updates!