As an Assistant Medical Examiner you will:
- Prepare written reports regarding case findings to include interpreting findings, issuing official death certificates, composing final examination reports, ruling as to cause and manner of death in assigned cases.
- Coordinate ancillary testing and explain results and findings to families, law enforcement personnel, attorneys, and others with statutory rights to the information.
- Provide expert opinion and testimony in court, depositions, pre-trial reviews and other proceedings.
- Perform and/or supervise the performance of autopsies, gross and histological examination of tissue specimens, and microscopic examinations, evaluate case-related investigative information, and prepare reports of findings.
- Certify the cause and manner of death in assigned cases.
- Provide expert testimony in courts of law and in depositions as an expert witness in forensic pathology.
- Give lectures and other educational presentations to law enforcement, medical, legal, and other professional groups.
- Assist in teaching concepts of forensic medicine and pathology to medical students, pathology residents and fellows.
- Participate in fatality review committee meetings on assigned cases.
- Coordinate with donation requests from organ and tissue bank personnel.
Must have completed residency in Anatomic Pathology and fellowship training in Forensic Pathology. ABP certification in forensic pathology is required within two years of start date. Current fellows are encouraged to apply.
The Ideal Candidate has American Board of Pathology (ABP) certifications in Anatomic and Forensic Pathology, has ABP certification in neuropathology or pediatric pathology, has excellent verbal and written communication skills, has at least 2 years of experience as a forensic pathologist and has an interest in teaching and academic research.
The salary range for this position is $193,564 - $286,499 annual depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits include paid state holidays, paid annual leave, medical/dental insurance and a retirement plan. A more complete description can be found at https://dhrm.utah.gov/benefits/compensation
How to apply
Please apply through the link listed above. For questions and other inquiries about the position, please reach out to Erik Christensen, MD, Chief Medical Examiner at email@example.com