Under the general direction of the Chief Medical Examiner:
- Performs autopsies and postmortem examinations to determine cause and manner of death.
- Collects evidence for law enforcement agencies.
- Prepares reports of postmortem examination and autopsies.
- Reviews medical records, police reports, and the reports of the toxicologist as required to accurately determine cause and manner of death.
- Participates in various research projects with local hospitals and universities.
- Attends and participates in daily departmental meetings.
- Directs the staff photographers and X-ray Technicians in the preparation of photographs and radiographs.
- Answers inquiries from relatives and other interested parties, as to the cause and manner of death.
- When on call, must be available to consult with the Medical Examiner’s Investigators, make decisions concerning release of organs and tissues for transplantation purposes on Medical Examiner’s cases, and to conduct scene investigations in accordance with Office policy.
- Required to work in the autopsy suite between eight to thirteen days per month including weekend days.
- Serves as a faculty member of the Cook County Office of the Medical Examiner Accreditation Counsel for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accredited program in forensic pathology, teaching/training residents and fellows in Forensic Pathology.
- Participates in Child Death Review meetings when required.
- Responsible for promptly reporting communicable disease and other health threats found at autopsy to the Board of Health.
- May be called upon to provide expert testimony in criminal or civil court or at civil or criminal depositions.
- May act as a consultant for the police, State’s Attorney, Public Defender’s Office and other professionals in the field of Forensic Pathology.
- Required to be twenty-four (24) hour call three to four times per month.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position is Actively Recruited and At Will. PURSUANT TO EXECUTIVE ORDER 2021-1 AND COOK COUNTY’S MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY, THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL BE REQUIRED TO EITHER SUBMIT PROOF OF FULL VACCINATION OR A REQUEST FOR REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION PRIOR TO THE START OF EMPLOYMENT. PLEASE CLICK THE FOLLOWING HYPERLINKS FOR THE FULL TEXT OF EXECUTIVE ORDER 2021-1 AND THE COOK COUNTY MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY. Executive Order 2021-1 Vaccination Policy Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy This position is considered a safety-sensitive position.
Candidates who are selected to fill safety-sensitive positions must pass a required drug test as part of the pre-employment background check process. https://www.cookcountyil.gov/sites/default/files/service/drug-and-alcohol-policy.pdf Candidates who are contacted will be required to produce original required documents (e.g., current driver’s license, diploma, school transcript, certifications, etc.) listed on the Notice of Job Opportunity within five (5) days of being extended an offer, in writing, by the Bureau Chief of BHR (or designee). Candidates will be notified of how to submit the required document.
- Must possess a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) accredited School of Medicine.
- Must possess a valid license to practice medicine in the State of Illinois that is in good standing with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation by start date (Must provide original license or proof of eligibility).
- Must be Board eligible in Anatomic Pathology or Anatomic/Clinical Pathology and Forensic Pathology by start date (Must provide proof of eligibility).
- Must obtain Anatomic Pathology and Forensic Pathology Boards within three (3) years of start date if candidate is not already Board certified (Must provide proof of certification or eligibility).
- Must have a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.
- Degrees awarded outside of the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States territories and Canada, must be credentialed by either the World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
- Board certification in Anatomic, Clinical and Forensic Pathology at time of hire.
- Proficiency in Power Point and Microsoft Office® software programs.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics:
- Must have extensive knowledge of the field of Forensic Pathology/Medicine.
- Must have the ability to perform autopsies and have the ability to work under unpleasant conditions.
- Must have common sense and good judgment the ability to make accurate decisions.
- Must have excellent teaching skills for training medical students, residents and fellows.
- Must have the ability to communicate well verbally and in written form to physicians and to lay individuals in one on one situation as well as in depositions and court appearances.
- Must be able to perform required duties in highly stressful and emotional situations.
- Must be physically capable of performing autopsies and post-mortem examinations in the autopsy suite.
- Must be available to be on twenty-four (24) hour call three or four times per month.
- Must be available to work weekend days as part of the monthly schedule.
- Must have the ability to follow standardized techniques and procedures, but must also be able to adapt and make independent decisions where required.
- Must be skilled in the use of a microscope and the interpretation of histology findings.
- Must be able to interpret radiographs within the context of forensic pathology practice.
- Must be skilled in the use of Power Point and other Microsoft Office® software programs.
- Must be able to perform autopsy examinations without the assistance of a technician on occasion, and be familiar with specialized autopsy techniques which may be required in certain situations.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and be able to complete case reports in a timely fashion.
For more detailed information, go to: https://cookcountyil.taleo.net/careersection/100/jobdetail.ftl
$249,836 / Annually
How to apply
Please apply online through the following URL: https://cookcountyil.taleo.net/careersection/100/jobdetail.ftl
ASSISTANT MEDICAL EXAMINER (MEDICAL EXAMINER OFFICE) ACTIVELY RECRUITED - SEIU 20 Requisition ID: 00128603