The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department (MNPD) Crime Lab Forensic Scientist 3 - DNA Technical Leader shall be directly accountable to the MNPD Crime Laboratory Forensic Scientist Supervisor – Forensic Biology Unit for the management of the technical operations of the Forensic Biology Unit.
Metro Nashville Police Department Crime Lab is hiring a DNA Technical Leader. The posting is open until December 3rd. Due to the government HR job classification the minimum qualifications list bachelor’s degree and not the required master’s degree. The FBI QAS requirements must be met to qualify for this position.
Nashville and the surrounding area is a great place to live with lots of good food, sports, and celebrity sightings. Not only do you have the city atmosphere but nearby there are plenty of outdoor activities, like hiking and canoeing/kayaking. In addition to a competitive salary and great medical benefits, employees qualify for longevity pay starting at 5 years and are fully invested in a nice pension plan after 10 years. We have been lucky in the past with regular yearly cost of living increases.
Must be willing and able to work overtime, holidays, and weekends as needed.
All positions in the MNPD require an extensive background check.
If you have applied in the last six months, you do not need to reapply.
- Reviews, revises, approves, and proposes new DNA-related technical policies and procedures.
- Facilitates training of laboratory personnel in DNA analysis and procedures.
- Approves and directs the review of the Forensic Biology Quality System.
- Stays abreast of currently used technologies and procedures through extensive reading of forensic literature and training.
- Oversees, reviews, and approves new DNA method validations and new equipment.
- Troubleshoots and resolves DNA technical equipment and supplies.
- Ensures proficiency testing, quality control, and safety measures are being followed as outlined in the Quality Manual, Procedures, and the Safety Manual.
- Serves as a technical reference regarding DNA analyses.
- Acts as a mediator in the technical review of DNA analyses.
- Recommends new DNA technical equipment and supplies.
- Maintains and demonstrates efficiency in the field of forensic biology.
- Performs chemical, microscopic, and immunological tests on physical evidence.
- Maintains technical forensic laboratory files and records of findings.
- Prepares analytical reports and effectively communicates results of analyses.
- Conducts technical and/or administrative reviews on scientific reports.
- Determines CODIS eligibility.
- Provides expert testimony in court based on laboratory findings. Interprets and evaluates serological results and DNA data.
- Executes applicable operations of the laboratory information management system (LIMS).
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in a field of science such as biology, chemistry, forensic science, or related area
- Five (5) years of forensic laboratory experience, with three (3) years experience as a qualified DNA analyst.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution in a field of science such as biology, chemistry, or forensic science.
- Knowledge of and experience in using related laboratory instrumentation, computer software, calibration, validation, quality control, safety, accreditation, proficiency testing, and training.
- Knowledge of international forensic laboratory accreditation standards.
- Experience with probabilistic genotyping software.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
$63,608.96 - $82,694.46 Annually
Metro offers a generous core benefit package to eligible employees who are regularly and consistently working 20 or more hours per week. Insurance and benefit coverage is effective the first of the month after the employee has worked 30 days. Employees can change their benefits within 60 days of an eligible change in status or during Annual Enrollment. Metro also offers optional benefits from which the employee may choose. Family members, including eligible spouses, domestic partners and children, are covered under most of our benefits programs.
Medical: Choice of two plans; Metro pays 75% of premium
Dental: Choice of two plans; Metro pays for single coverage
Basic Life: $50,000 basic term life coverage; Metro pays 100% of premium
Pension*: Formula-driven pension; 100% Metro funded; 10 year vesting for new employees
Paid Family Leave: Runs concurrently with time designated as FMLA leave (up to 30 days)
Longevity: Annual bonus beginning after 5 years of service; increases annually up to 20 years
Work Life/ Employee Assistance Program: Wide variety of counseling, referral and consultation services provided free
Other**: In-line-of-duty injury benefits, AD&D insurance, and Medical Disability eligibility after 10 years with Metro
Paid leave: (Full-time employees)
Vacation: 20 vacation days a year
Holidays: 12 holidays per year (Courts may be different)
Sick leave: 12 days of sick leave per year
Personal leave: 3 days per year
Other leaves: Judicial leave, military leave, bereavement leave
* Normal Pension for Sworn- Age 53 with 22 years service; Civilian Pension - Age 60 with 25 years service
**See the Human Resources webpage for more details and optional benefits at nashville.gov/hr
How to apply
Visit associated website link. Create an account on the Metro Nashville Jobs site and then apply for the posting in the original website link.