The mission of the New York City Police Department is to enhance the quality of life in New York City by working in partnership with the community to enforce the law, preserve peace, protect the people, reduce fear, and maintain order. The NYPD strives to foster a safe and fair city by incorporating Neighborhood Policing into all facets of Department operations, and solve the problems that create crime and disorder through an interdependent relationship between the people and its police, and by pioneering strategic innovation.
The Police Laboratory seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Deputy Director, Police Laboratory.
The Managerial Criminalist, M-III, designated Deputy Director, Police Laboratory will be responsible for the following:
- Assist in the leadership of a professional scientific and administrative support staff engaged in forensic examinations and analyses of physical evidence, administrative tasks related to criminal investigations, and providing expert testimony with respect to physical evidence in legal proceedings;
- Ensure all laboratory work performed is in accordance with Department procedures, federal and state regulations, and accreditation standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) National Accreditation Board (ANAB) and the New York State Commission of Forensic Science (NYSCOFS);
- Assist the Director in formulating and implementing short and long-term goals and in determining future staffing requirements, equipment needs, physical building improvements, and other capital expense requirements for the administration of the laboratory’s total budget of approximately $62 million;
- Serve as an advisor to the Director, members of the Police Laboratory, and other executive level personnel in the Forensic Investigations Unit and make recommendations regarding the formulation and implementation of programs, policies, and procedures directly affecting the daily operation of the Police Laboratory;
- Oversee major cases submitted to the laboratory for examination, meet with Section Assistant Directors/ Commanding Officers, Section Supervisors and Criminalists/ Examiners to monitor progress and report the status of such cases to the Director.
- Facilitate communication between key laboratory staff and other governmental agencies to ensure the efficient, relevant, and competent examination of physical evidence.
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with specialization in criminalistics, forensic science, chemistry, biology, physics, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a closely related scientific or engineering field, and five (5) years of full-time professional experience working in the area of criminalistics, forensic science, or analytical chemistry, eighteen (18) months of which must have been in a managerial, supervisory, or administrative capacity performing significant managerial or supervisory duties in a forensic laboratory with a substantial case load and a staff of proficiency tested examiners/analysts. Education beyond a baccalaureate degree in one of the specialization areas listed above may be substituted at the rate of two (2) years' experience for a Master’s Degree and an additional year for a doctoral degree. However, all candidates must have the eighteen (18) months of managerial, supervisory, or administrative experience as detailed above.
$77,000 to $180,000
Work Location – Queens, NY
NYC Residency is NOT REQUIRED.
How to apply
Email Resume and Cover Letter to: Yonette.email@example.com