The County of San Diego Medical Examiner's Department is currently recruiting for Deputy Medical Examiners.
Deputy Medical Examiners determine cause of death for the deceased in custody of the Medical Examiner.
Deputy Medical Examiner II is the journey level class for the Deputy Medical Examiner series. Incumbents in this class possess Board Certification in Forensic Pathology and are specialized physicians responsible for conducting post-mortem examinations to determine probable cause of death. They confer with the Chief Medical Examiner, Chief Deputy Medical Examiner, and law enforcement agencies to assist them in interpreting autopsy findings for the purpose of reconstructing events leading to a suspected or actual homicide or suicide.
- A valid license to practice medicine in the State of California is required at the time of appointment (State of California Business and Professions Code 2135)
- At least one (1) year of experience in the field of medical legal death investigations and possession of Board Certification in Forensic Pathology.
- Base annual salary = $235,331.20
- Average standby hours per year (66) at $113.14 per hour
- Employer paid contribution to health care costs per year:
$9,024 for Employee Only
$13,716 for Employee + 1 Dependent
$19,956 for Employee + 2 or More Dependents