Forensic Scientist (DNA):
- Performs laboratory analyses of physical evidence in one or more of the specialty disciples of the FSL
- Regularly demonstrates proficiency in assigned forensic specialty and participates in and completes externally administrated proficiency test.
- Demonstrates competency and on-going proficiency in laboratory processing, interpretation, comparisons and statistical analysis steps as authorized by the technical leader.
- Ensures methodologies and procedures used are compliant with established standards and is responsible for quality assurance and accreditation compliance activities.
Forensic Scientist II (DNA):
- Prepares written scientific examination reports and affidavits to correlate with laboratory results.
- Inspects equipment and tools that are utilized for testing and determines if they are compliant with prescribed operating and safety standards, regulations and guidelines including manufacturer’s specifications on computerized scientific equipment. Interprets graphs, charts, and mathematical formulas.
- May conduct advanced research project or performs technical review of peers’ work. Performs biology/DNA analyses on physical evidence.
- Interprets test results, conducts comparisons, develops conclusions and statistical analyses, and prepares final reports/results.
A Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position or courses equivalent to a major in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines in addition to one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the CS-11 grade level. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the individual with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position, including, but not limited to: knowledge of laboratory accreditations, standards, and guidelines; and DNA interpretation procedures and statistical analysis and the tools necessary to evaluate DNA evidence.
How to apply
DC Government policy requires that you complete the online application to be considered for this role. Interested applicants should submit an application through the https://careers.dc.gov. Please reference “DFS: Forensic Scientist II (DNA)” or Job ID #: 19384.