- Oversees administrative personnel at the direction of the Chief Medical Examiner.
- Assists the Chief Medical Examiner in achieving national accreditation which includes development and maintenance of office policies and procedures required by the National Association of Medical Examiners. Administers and tracks contracts.
- Prepares procurement documents to solicit new contracts and/or renew existing contracts.
- Provides timely reports on progress/challenges/status to the Chief Medical Examiner.
- Composes, prepares, transcribes, processes and/or reviews a variety of written documents and correspondence in support of office operations at the direction of the Chief Medical Examiner. Documents include but are not limited to grants, legal documents, contracts, and sensitive written correspondence.
- Coordinates with Autopsy Service Supervisor to establish, maintain, and monitor mandatory radiation safety protocols.
- Track monthly expenditures.
- Track budget reports throughout the year.
- Reports budgetary concerns to the Deputy Chief Medical Examiner.
- Analysis of expenditures and future needs.
- Gathers data for annual budget preparation.
- Make recommendations regarding departmental needs and ongoing budgetary concerns.
- Prepares supplemental budget requests as directed, and reports progress to the Deputy Chief Medical Examiner.
- Schedules continuing education and training programs for the department at the direction of the Chief Medical Examiner.
- Work with Human Resources to schedule new hire interviews and oversee administrative aspects of onboarding new personnel.
- Reviews and recommends changes to administrative policies and procedures. Will work at the direction of the Chief Deputy Medical Examiner to ensure compliance with standards, regulations, and codes as well as federal, state, and local laws.
- Facilitates open records request fulfillment in accordance with local/state/federal regulations and departmental policy.
- Oversees mandatory reporting in accordance with departmental policies and in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Prepares statistical and information requests at the direction of the Chief Medical Examiner.
- Responsible for the maintenance of facilities and equipment, including standards, maintenance, cleaning, repairs, safety, security, and emergent situations.
- Assist with department scheduling (including but not limited to office calendars, travel arrangements, meeting requests, vehicles, and other equipment).
- Train, supervise, and guide administrative staff. Duties include hiring, evaluations, and counseling/disciplinary actions of the administrative staff. Maintains and updates training manuals.
- Manage administrative staff work schedules and approve timecards biweekly. Ensure adequate service coverage.
- Provide additional coverage when short-staffed.
- Manage administrative staff work schedules and approve timecards biweekly; ensure there is adequate coverage as needed for the administrative staff to do their routine duties. Provide additional coverage when short-staffed.
- Ensure all current and past contracts are easily accessible, complete, and available for review upon request.
- Work with both the investigations and autopsy service supervisors to order additional supplies as needed or requested.
- Approve purchase orders up to $4999 at the direction of the Chief Medical Examiner. Attend meetings at the direction of the Chief Medical Examiner; provide timely communication and required follow-up.
- Attend supervisory meetings to provide and receive feedback regarding departmental performance.
- Independently track deadlines and resolutions of important issues.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forensic Science, Criminal Justice, Police Science or a related field, 5-7 years supervisory experience or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities
- Experience with budget preparation preferred
- ABMDI certification or familiarity with medicolegal death investigation
Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Wisconsin driver's license
- Access to reliable personal motor vehicle transportation; availability to occasionally respond to work matters for evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Salary: 92,250
- PTO, Paid Holidays, Eligible for medical, dental, vision. Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) eligible
PTO, Paid Holidays, Eligible for medical, dental, vision. Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) eligible