The NAME-accredited Palm Beach County Medical Examiner office serves Florida Medical Examiner District 15 (Palm Beach County), under the direction of the Chief Medical Examiner. The full-time professional staff consists of the Chief Medical Examiner and 7 Associate Medical Examiners. Support staff includes 8 forensic investigators, 8 autopsy technicians, digital photography and radiography (Lodox), and in-house transcription service.
The successful candidate will be employed by Palm Beach County. County employee benefits include health insurance, state retirement system, vacation, paid parental and sick leave, and liability insurance. The County participates in the Florida Retirement System, with medical examiners in Special Risk Membership (3% x years of service x the average of your highest eight years of salary) with vesting at eight years. There is also an investment plan that the member can choose instead of the pension that vests in one year.
- Graduation from an accredited school of medicine with the degree of Doctor of Medicine
- License to practice medicine in the State of Florida
- Successful completion of residency in anatomic and forensic pathology
- Board certification in anatomic and forensic pathology by the American Board of Pathology
- Minimum of ten years of experience in the practice of forensic pathology
- Knowledge of state and federal laws regarding death investigation
- Knowledge of postmortem examinations and identification procedures
- Comprehensive knowledge of trauma, natural diseases, and toxicology
- Knowledge of budget preparation and administration, and the ability to supervise medical examiner personnel
- Ability to perform postmortem examinations and provide sworn testimony in deposition and court
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, county employees, department directors/elected officials, the news media and the general public
- Applicants with existing Florida Medical License are preferred
The starting annual salary is $320,000, but is negotiable depending on experience.
All employees of Palm Beach County may be required to work before, during and/or after a natural or man-made disaster or hurricane. EO/AA M/F/D/Veterans Preference Employer; E-Verify Employer; Drug Free Work Place (DFWP).
Forbes Magazine ranks Palm Beach County BCC 10th in the nation in Government Services in their list of America's Best Employers 2018
How to apply
Interested candidates should send current curriculum vitae and three references to Dr. Wendolyn Sneed, MD at email@example.com.
For questions, please call Dr. Sneed at 561-688-4575.