- Apply scientific principles of molecular biology, and related fields to the examination of evidence.
- Examine evidence for potential biological fluids and DNA, collect samples for testing.
- Provide consultation to Detectives regarding serology and DNA analysis. •Make decisions based upon both knowledge and experience as to the qualitative and quantitative nature of the biological evidence submitted for DNA analysis.
- Keep up to date with new advances in DNA technology by reading scientific literature and attending yearly training per FBI Quality Assurance guidelines.
- Utilize all laboratory software to include but not limited to LIMS, Quality Management software, Probabilistic Genotyping systems, DNA collection/analysis software and CODIS.
- Render the results of scientific examinations and comparisons into the form of written reports which express the expert opinion of the individual regarding the evidence collected and analyzed.
- Testify as an expert in the field of Serology and DNA analysis in a court of law.
- Technically review Reports of other Analysts and participate in proficiency testing to maintain expertise.
- Respond to requests for assistance at crime scenes to evaluate, protect, gather, secure and transport physical evidence.
- Communicate with attorneys, law enforcement officers, co-workers, and citizens regarding evidence collected, testing employed and interpretation of results.
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets and reports. •Assist DNA Technical Leader as needed to keep the DNA lab functioning. Examples of Duties for Success
- Knowledge of software programs utilized for all aspects of DNA analysis and report writing
- Provide scientific and investigative assistance
- Familiar with FBI QAS, ANAB Accreditation standards
- Research literature and attends training pertaining to Serology and DNA analysis
- Knowledge of how to use laboratory equipment specific to Forensic Biology
Qualifications for Success;
- Applicants shall possess a Baccalaureate or an advanced degree from an accredited college or university in a natural science; chemistry, biology, molecular biology or a closely related field. The applicant shall meet the education requirements of the Quality Assurance Standards for Forensic DNA Testing Laboratories.
- Ability to apply critical thinking to casework; knowledge of working case from serology through DNA analysis DNA testing methodologies: STRs, YSTRs, automation, probabilistic genotyping software preferred
- PLUS, minimum of two years of DNA casework experience at the journeyman level at an accredited Laboratory.
How to apply
Apply online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/adams/jobs/3729352/dna-analyst