The MNPD Crime Laboratory DNA Technical Leader – Forensic Biology Unit shall be directly accountable to the MNPD Crime Laboratory Forensic Scientist Supervisor – Forensic Biology Unit for the management of the technical operations of the Forensic Biology Unit.
All positions in the MNPD require an extensive background check.
This position may be eligible for remote work opportunities pending departmental approval.
*Attach transcripts with application*
- Review, revise, approve, and propose new DNA-related technical policies and procedures.
- Facilitate training of laboratory personnel in DNA analysis and procedures.
- Approve and direct the review of the Forensic Biology Quality System.
- Maintain knowledge of currently used technologies and procedures through extensive reading of forensic literature and training.
- Oversee, review, and approve new DNA method validations and new equipment.
- Troubleshoot and resolve DNA technical equipment and supplies.
- Ensure proficiency testing, quality control, and safety measures are being followed as outlined in the Quality Manual, Procedures, and the Safety Manual.
- Serve as a technical reference regarding DNA analyses.
- Act as a mediator in the technical review of DNA analyses. Recommend new DNA technical equipment and supplies.
- Maintain and demonstrate efficiency in the field of forensic biology.
- Perform chemical, microscopic, and immunological tests on physical evidence.
- Maintain technical forensic laboratory files and records of findings.
- Prepare analytical reports and effectively communicate results of analyses.
- Conduct technical and/or administrative reviews on scientific reports.
- Determine CODIS eligibility.
- Provide expert testimony in court based on laboratory findings.
- Interpret and evaluate serological results and DNA data. Execute applicable operations of the laboratory information management system (LIMS).
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution in a field of science such as biology, chemistry, forensic science, or related area; completed twelve (12) coursework hours in areas of biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, and statistics or population genetics; and five (5) years of forensic laboratory experience, with three (3) years experience as a qualified DNA analyst.
Certifications, specific skills, knowledge, and related experience will be considered.
Candidates will have experience with a probabilistic genotyping software and laboratory information management system desired.
Valid Driver License may be required for some positions in this classification.
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience in using related laboratory instrumentation, computer software, calibration, validation, quality control, safety, accreditation, proficiency testing, and training
- Knowledge of international forensic laboratory accreditation standards
- Skill in planning, organizing and managing caseloads
$76,236.20 - $107,045.44 Annually
Public Safety - Sworn and Civilian positions:
- 20 vacation days per year
- 3 Personal days per year
- 1 Sick Day per month
- 12 paid holidays per year
Benefits at a Glance: Eligible Metro employees have the option to enroll in the
following benefit plans.
Core Benefit Options and Highlights Medical Plan Options:
- BCBS PPO – 80/20% coinsurance plan with copays
- CIGNA Choice Fund – HRA funded by Metro to pay first dollar claims before you pay a deductible
Dental Plan Options – both share the same network of dentists:
Flexible – $1,000 annual benefit max with in- and out-of-network dentists
Limited – schedule of benefits with in-network dentists only
Basic Life AD&D Insurance
- $50,000 basic term life
- $50,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance Pension
- 10-year vesting for employees hired (and non-vested employees rehired) on/after January 1, 2013 (retiree medical premiums will be indexed based upon total years of credited service)
- 5-year vesting for employees employed on or between October 1, 2001 and December 31, 2012 who vested before leaving employment
- 10-year eligibility requirement for medical disability '
- In-line-of-duty injury benefits available Optional Benefits and Highlights
Vision Plan Options:
- Basic – eye exam every 12 months; glasses or contacts every 24 months
- Enhanced – eye exam every 12 months; glasses or contacts every 12 months; 100% coverage for standard progressives and polycarbonates
Short-Term Disability: 60% of weekly pay; benefit begins once disabled 7 days with maximum of 180 days
Long-Term Disability: 50% of monthly pay; benefit begins once disabled 180 days
Supplemental Life Guaranteed coverage for new hires up to $200,000 with option to increase to $500,000 with proof of good health during Annual Enrollment
- Must enroll in Supplemental life to purchase Dependent Life
- $10,000 to $50,000 spouse/domestic partner coverage; $5,000 each eligible dependent child FSA
- Health Care FSA – annual election up to $2,700 • Dependent Care FSA – annual election up to $5,000
How to apply
Register account at job website/portal for Metro Nashville- then apply for this posting.