The Evidence Specialist shall be responsible for collecting, receipting, storing and control of the physical evidence/property in the custody of the sheriff’s office. The employee is accountable for the security and integrity of the evidence room and is responsible for preserving the critical chain of custody. The employee will process requests for drug testing and prepare and send evidence to outside crime laboratories. The employee will receive and process the lab results, disseminate forensic test/analysis results. The employee will research cases for evidence/property disposition, dispose of evidence/property, document evidence/property disposal. The employee will secure weapons submitted to evidence/property and copy video/audio media. The employee will release evidence for court proceedings, process requests for evidence viewing, document all evidence/property movement, notify owners and release found property. The employee will be required to testify at trials, hearings, grand juries and/or depositions, demonstrate positive working relationship with colleagues and other units within the agency; liaison with inter/intra agency personnel. The employee shall perform any other duties which may be assigned. See Job Description in Human Resources for further duties and responsibilities.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have the ability to be on-call.
- Must have the ability to work irregular hours, including nights & weekends.
- Must have a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Must successfully complete civilian defensive driving within 3 months of transfer.
- Must be able to attend assigned training classes.
- Must be able to assist with collection of evidence at crime scenes.
- At least one year of Criminal Justice experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills &Abilities:
- Must have good problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to multi-task and have good organizational skills.
- Must have good inter-personal skills and be able to communicate effectively both verbally & written.
- Must be proficient in Spillman, Word and Excel and have general knowledge of computers and various programs.
- Must be able to obtain certification as an Evidence Specialist with PEAF and/or IAPE within 2 years.
- Must have good phone etiquette.
- Must be familiar with Florida State Statutes chapters 705, 790.08, and 775.15.
- Must be able to raise objects in an upward movement or move objects from position to position at the same level. The weight of the object being lifted or moved is described as medium (1 to 50 pounds). The vertical lifting requirement ranges between 12 and 36 inches.
- Must be able to ascend or descend ladders, stairs, and ramps, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
See Job Description for further information
$35,257.95 + benefits
How to apply
Using the application URL link, go to "Join Us", then "Careers" then select the Evidence Specialist position and complete the application. If you have any issues during the process, you can contact email@example.com for assistance.