The Family Advocate provides professional direct customer and support services to those who have experienced an unexplained, violent or suspicious death of a loved one and whose case is in accordance with the legal jurisdiction of the District 1 Medical Examiner’s Office (D1MEO). The advocate is to provide information on the process in an empathetic, supportive manner to the grieving person(s) and offer community resources as appropriate. This position will serve as a liaison conferring with staff on case status and deliver proactive communication to family members.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops, implements, and manages the Family Advocate program, a new program that provides direct customer and support services to those who have experienced an unexplained, violent or suspicious death of a loved one.
- Serves as a liaison conferring with D1MEO staff about case status and deliver proactive communication to the family members.
- Identifies resources and make referrals to appropriate community agencies, crisis intervention services, victim assistance, grief counseling services, or other resources, as appropriate.
- Participates in formal and ongoing programs developed by the state and local Departments of Health ensuring the agency is represented in public health and complying with death reporting requirements, such as Violent Death Reporting System, State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System, or SUID and SDY.
- Prepares comprehensive annual and monthly reports describing progress towards goals, objectives, and overall accomplishments of the agency and program.
- Tracks feedback from family members and uses this information to recommend changes to internal processes in order to improve satisfaction with OME’s services.
- Collaborates with other agencies on grant writing and community health projects.
- Collaborates with D1MEO staff to develop materials for family support and outreach, to include but not be limited to D1MEO informational brochure and website.
- Develops recommendations for new, revised, and/or improved work processes, policies, procedures, practices, methods, and/or other tools to implement changes/improvements, and evaluates the effectiveness of proposed changes/recommendations.
- Participates as needed in emergency operations assignments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of medicolegal death investigation policy and procedures and Florida statutes pertaining to the medical examiner (FS 406).
- Skill with professional written and verbal communication.
- Ability to function successfully in high stress situations, with a talent for conflict resolution.
- Experience in critical thinking, problem solving, and the implementation of effective courses of action.
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Counseling, Family Studies, Psychology, Criminal Justice or another closely related behavioral or social science field
- Three years of experience in some or all of the following: victim advocacy, social work, crisis intervention and/or another closely related field which includes case management experience.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license or be able to obtain one within 30 days of employment.
- Must be eligible to a drive a company vehicle based on driving history.
- Must be able to a pass pre-employment criminal background check and drug screen.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience supervising staff or interns
- Certified in grief counseling or related course work
- Experience in public service working in an advocate related capacity
- Experience in a Medical Examiner or Coroner’s Office Job
$50,000 - $65,000 a year
- 100% employer paid health (BCBS), vision and dental insurance (family/spouse at additional cost share)
- 401k with employer contribution of 18% of base salary
- Ample paid time off with annual PTO buy back program
- Supportive and progressive work environment
How to apply
Send a cover letter, CV/resume, at least 3 references with current contact information to: Dan Schebler, Director of Operations - DanS@d1meo.org Or apply through indeed: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=185072ef68a51638