Kentucky State Police is the premier, full-service law enforcement agency in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. With the highest level of professionalism and integrity the Kentucky State Police works to prevent, reduce, and deter crime and the fear of crime, enhance highway safety through education and enforcement, and safeguard property and protect individual rights.
Primary Role: Forensic Firearms and Toolmark Examiners perform firearms identification, toolmark comparisons and other object identification in a variety of criminal cases. This position is integral to a wide range of criminal investigations. This position requires testimony as an expert witness in court.
- Receives training in firearms identification, toolmarks comparisons and other object identification in a forensic laboratory.
- Assists in examining evidence including bullets, cartridge casings, firearms, clothing, tools, toolmarks, plaster casts, shoes, tires, body tissue and other objects with obliterated serial numbers submitted by a law enforcement agency pursuant to a criminal investigation.
- Performs the various techniques in the collection, preservation, receipt and examination of physical evidence.
- Assists in the maintenance of quality control.
- Learns to operate the various types of equipment used, to include but is not limited to, microscopes, stereomicroscope, photographic equipment, chronograph, bullet recovery systems, various chemicals and other related laboratory equipment.
- Prepares written reports of examination results and experiments performed.
- Reviews books, journals, periodicals and notes relative to the duties of the position.
- Assists in the preparation of evidence for presentation in court proceedings and testifies in courts regarding examination results.
- Presence may be required at crime scenes to assist with evidence gathering and processing.
Graduate of a college or university with a bachelor's degree in the physical, biological, or forensic sciences, criminal justice, engineering, or mathematics.
- $44,213.39 annually
- Health insurance
- Paid holidays Holiday, Vacation, Compensatory time accrual
- Retirement program
How to apply
To apply, complete the application at: https://kypersonnelcabinet.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=44424&site=2