At the trainee level, the incumbent, under the direction of a journeyman or unit supervisor, receives, examines, and analyzes evidence for the presence of biological material and subsequent DNA tests in connection with criminal cases in the Biology discipline. The incumbent progresses through the series, gaining knowledge and skills, to work independently and become an expert able to testify in court.
Education: Possession of a bachelor’s degree in forensic science, chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, or a related pure or applied science. Must have successfully completed a minimum of nine (9) cumulative semester hours or equivalent covering the following subject areas: biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology and course work or training in statistics and/or population genetics as it applies to forensic DNA analysis.
- Forensic Scientist 9 - No specific type or amount is required.
- Forensic Scientist 10 - One year of professional experience working in a crime laboratory carrying out a variety of tests, analyses or production and research activities involving chemical, biochemical, biological or physical evidence samples, specimens, or products equivalent to a Forensic Scientist 9.
- Forensic Scientist P11 - Two years of professional experience working in a crime laboratory carrying out a variety of tests, analyses or production and research activities involving chemical, biochemical, biological or physical evidence samples, specimens, or products equivalent to a Forensic Scientist, including one year equivalent to a Forensic Scientist 10.
Salary: $47,195.20 - $81,099.20 Annually
State employment benefits include everything from health insurance to retirement income and can be worth 25% to 50% of salary depending on wages and benefits.
- Leave Time: Full-time employees receive between 15 and 35 vacation days per year. Employees also receive 13 sick days per year and 8 hours of leave to participate in certain school functions or community activities. Employees may also qualify for up to 12 weeks of paid or unpaid leave for certain family or medical situations.
- Holidays: State employees receive 13 scheduled holidays each year, including New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Memorial Day, and Veterans Day, just to name a few. State employees also receive Election Day off every other year.
- Alternative Work Schedules: Flexible work schedules and telecommuting options are available in many jobs.
- Insurance and Other Benefits: Eligible employees can choose from a variety of health insurance plans, including a PPO, HMOs, and a High Deductible Health Plan with HSA. Other coverage includes vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance, as well as tax-deferred Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) for health, prescription, dental and vision eligible expenses, dependent care expenses, and Qualified Transportation Fringe Benefits (QTFB). Employees also have the option to purchase additional life, accidental death, and long-term care insurance, auto/home insurance, identify theft protection, and legal services. For additional information, visit https://www.michigan.gov/mdcs/employeebenefits/new-employee Paid
- Parental Leave: Provides eligible individuals up to 12 weeks of paid leave immediately following birth or adoption of a child.
- Deferred Compensation: Employees may invest income in a tax-deferred retirement investment program. The state offers two optional deferred compensation plans, the 457 and 401(k). Employees decide the amount deducted from their paychecks.
- Retirement: Employees receive a minimum 4% state contribution toward their retirement fund. If an employee elects to contribute more, the state will match up to 3%. The Office of Retirement Services administers two different retirement plans for State of Michigan employees: Defined Benefit (DB) and Defined Contribution (DC). New hires can also receive up to a 2% employer match into a Personal Healthcare Fund and a lump-sum credit to a tax-deferred account if eligible.
How to apply
https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/michigan Job Number: 5501-23007-TAM