The successful candidate will perform DNA analysis on a wide range of complex samples in support of the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory (AFDIL) in Dover, DE. The Forensic DNA Scientist (FS2) will be responsible for performing analysis of forensic evidence in accordance with laboratory accreditation and standard operating procedures. The FS2 is critical to the successful laboratory operation and will be required to work collaboratively and productively with laboratory staff and management. The ability to prioritize job responsibilities in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a focus on excellent customer service is a must.
Responsibilities may include:
- Performing as a competent and qualified DNA Analyst.
- Performing investigative studies on biological materials and/or tissue identification by DNA typing technologies.
- Carrying out DNA typing casework in support of routine casework and special projects.
- Qualifying and testifying as an expert witness in court, as required.
- Providing technical assistance in the areas of bioinformatics, information technology and laboratory automation.
- Supporting the logistical or resource management activities of the DNA Registry.
- Participating in the organization and presentation of educational activities.
- Assisting in the expansion of the technical programs to accelerate service work capabilities by setting up and making operationally ready a wide variety of laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Writing, reviewing, and editing experimental protocols, SOP’s and operating instructions for projects of experimental programs, service casework procedures and general laboratory management operations.
- Assisting in quality assurance activities (e.g. standards maintenance, equipment preventive maintenance, reagent testing & validation, proficiency testing, and accreditation and certification).
- Performing general laboratory housekeeping activities by maintaining; appropriate working-stock levels of expendable supplies and a clean environment within laboratory work areas.
- Maintaining documentation of methods development and research activities in accordance with standard practice.
- Managing investigative studies on novel markers/assays to improve DNA recovery and/or typing from mixed and/or low template specimens, including design of experiments, performance of laboratory work and analysis of data.
- Participating in the establishment of extensive mtDNA, Y-STR and Autosomal STR databases for both general, and specifically-targeted, populations.
- Identifying, investigating and pursuing projects to advance DNA-based biometric capabilities.
- Presenting scientific findings at domestic and/or international conferences.
- Assisting program maintenance and development at the direction of their designated supervisor.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- Bachelor’s degree in forensic science, physical, or life sciences with successful completion of college course work in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, and Statistics/ Population Genetics
- A resume and a copy of unofficial transcripts must be submitted
- Have at least six (6) months experience performing human DNA analysis for criminal matters, recent graduates are encouraged to apply
- The successful candidate must be self-motivated, detail oriented, and able to work well in a team laboratory environment
Will discuss during screening process
How to apply
Allpy to this link: https://pae.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PAE_Careers/job/US-DE-Dover/Forensic-Scientist-II_R0078000