- Is considered "Mission Essential" - required to be at work or in "on-call" status regardless of emergency situations and general dismissal authorizations, required to carry an employer-issued cell phone and/or pager while on and off shift for contact and communication to ensure critical operations continue in the event of a catastrophe or unavailability of the otherwise assigned individual.
- May be required to be available to assist on-call investigator.
- Prepares morgue facility for autopsy procedures including setting out surgical instruments, laboratory supplies and transferring of body to autopsy table.
- Performs facility maintenance and ensures cleaning standards are followed.
- Completes all pre- and post-autopsy external examination forms and other documentation.
- Photographs the body to establish identification, bullet wounds, fractures, knife wounds, bruises, unusual marks, etc.
- Responsible for obtaining fingerprints and collecting and processing specimens in accordance with written procedures.
- Prepares toxicological and histology specimens for shipping to the appropriate laboratory for analyses.
- Operates x-ray machine and develops x-rays prior to autopsy for examination by the Medical Examiner.
- Operates, maintains and troubleshoots the clinical laboratory instruments.
- Performs specimen analysis as requested.
- Under the direction of the Medical Examiner, actively assists in autopsy procedures including surgical dissection as directed by the Medical Examiner. During autopsy, photographs any findings of the Medical Examiner that he/she wants recorded.
- After successful completion of training as a forensic technician, this employee will be required to undergo training as a forensic investigator and work on-call as an investigator as needed.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Forensic Science, Biology, Criminal Justice, or related field; AND one (1) year of experience in medicolegal death investigation with a medical examiner/coroner office or law enforcement agency; OR three (3) years’ experience as a firefighter, paramedic or registered nurse. Certification by the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators (ABMDI) or obtain certification within 24 months of hire.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license or obtain one by date of hire.
- Physical Demands: Ability to lift 100 lbs. and pull/push 250 lbs.; feel, hear, visual acuity (color, acuity to determine state of contusions and/or lividity) as well as depth perception and peripheral vision necessary to operate a motorized vehicle, carry, walk, stoop, kneel, bend, handle, finger dexterity, talk.
- Environmental Demands: Inside and outside work. Ability to tolerate exposure to inclement weather (rain, cold, heat, humidity); odors, chemicals, dust, poor ventilation, fumes. Exposure to human remains and body fluids.
- Mental Demands: Ability to read and comprehend scientific, medical and technical reports, abstracts and documents; memos, evaluations, safety rules, letters. Ability to effectively communicate information to others. Ability to perform general mathematical functions. Ability to write complex sentences relaying information, data and details.
The District 7 Medical Examiner’s Office offers seven (7) paid holidays, three (3) floating holidays, short and long term disability insurance, 401k retirement benefits, group health plans for medical, dental and vision coverage, life/accidental/dismemberment benefits.
The District 7 Medical Examiner’s Office is a drug-free workplace. Hourly Rate: $20.50
How to apply
Please forward your resume and cover letter to:
Karla Orozco, M.S., F-ABMDI
District 7 Medical Examiner’s Office
1360 Indian Lake Road
Daytona Beach, FL 32124