The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Division of Laboratory Medicine, is seeking a Researcher IV candidate to join our team. We are thrilled to be expanding our lab and offering this position to join our small close-knit team. The incumbent will conduct routine postmortem forensic toxicology testing, generating results for alcohol, drugs of abuse and prescription drugs in a CAP accredited laboratory while preserving the integrity and chain of custody of samples. They will assist in development and validation of new methods on existing instrumentation as well as our expanding instrumentation portfolio. As we see more and more emerging drugs in our samples this role is crucial to our existing and expanding scopes of testing.
General Responsibilities, while working with a high degree of independence:
- To oversee projects within the laboratory
- To assume responsibility for the day-to-day operation of lab activities.
- To collect, enter, summarize, analyze, and interpret data.
- To contribute significantly to the planning/design of studies.
- To help develop long or short-term goals.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts analytical procedures on postmortem forensic toxicology samples on behalf of Jefferson County Coroner's office and other customers.
- Assists with directed development and validation for new methods/drugs as required to meet the sections goals.
- Assists in the maintenance of the laboratory's quality management system including routine instrument maintenance on existing instrumentation as well as implementation of new instruments.
- Liaise with customers including forensic pathologists, mortuary technicians, coroners’ officers, and office staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Doctorate in a related field OR
Master's degree in a related field and two (2) years of related experience OR
Bachelor’s degree in related field and four (4) years of related experience OR
Associate's degree in related field and six (6) years of related experience.
Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.
- Prior employment experience in an accredited forensic science lab, or a CLIA-certified clinical testing laboratory.
- Experience working with techniques used for handling forensic toxicology samples (e.g., solid phase extraction, liquid extraction).
- Prior experience working with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, ELISA and/or headspace-gas chromatography. Experience in a scientific laboratory using basic laboratory equipment techniques and laboratory safety procedures.
Annual Salary Range $47,486.40 - $85,000.00
How to apply
Apply online @ https://uab.taleo.net/careersection/ext/jobdetail.ftl?job=T211487&tz=GMT-06%3A00&tzname=