Abbott Rapid Diagnostics is part of Abbott’s Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry leading technologies to support diagnostic testing which provides important information for treatment and management of diseases and other conditions.
The position of Forensic Toxicologist is within the Ascertain Forensics Lab located in Santa Rosa, CA. This role supports the Forensic Toxicology Lab daily laboratory operations.
This job description will be reviewed periodically and is subject to change by management.
The Forensic Toxicologist Director position is responsible for the overall function, performance and integrity of the Ascertain Forensics toxicology testing laboratory; including quality assurance, management information systems, forensic training, and adherence to the company’s forensic strategy, and compliance with policies and procedures. The Forensic Director is a leadership position and has oversite of budget, organization, productivity, service, quality, and regulatory compliance. The director may also be working in the lab which requires extraction of various human biological samples, synthesizes data, and operates and maintains complex instruments to test these samples for drugs and chemicals. The Director will also be required to maintain the ability to testify in court as a fact witness to describe the testing process and quality control for the officers of the court and jury in criminal and civil court proceedings.
- Performs forensic evaluations of evidentiary items including; the identification, confirmation and quantitation of poisons, drugs and other xenobiotics in forensic biological and non-biological specimens.
- Possible exposure to blood borne pathogens and chemicals.
- Performs maintenance and operation of LC-MS/MS, GC-MS and GC-FID instrumentation, batch sequencing, data processing and troubleshooting. analyze and process specimens and data in human performance and postmortem toxicology casework.
- Must understand the importance of, and comply with, laboratory standard operating procedures (SOPs) and Chain of Custody (COC) documentation.
- Record findings and prepares technical laboratory records and supplies batches of test results for review and reviews co-workers batch data.
- Ensures that analyses are completed, and batch results are reported in a timely manner and data generated conforms to quality control standards and maintaining the controlled legal chain of custody requirements.
- Participates in proficiency tests in order to comply with national and state quality assurance standards; attends training classes.
- Follows safety protocol to ensure that proper safety practices are used within the laboratory and helps to maintain inventory by alerting the Laboratory Director when supplies are low.
- May testify in court to report laboratory methods of analyses and/or on chain of custody issues in order to support the laboratory findings.
- Manages functional/ operational units within a division. Represents the unit’s positions, initiatives and interests in the focus on the delivery of superior customer service, ensures staff is sufficiently knowledgeable and dynamic regarding customer service protocols and performance expectations.
- Assists with the implementation and evaluation of division policies, projects and procedures.
- Coaches, mentors, and challenges staff. Champions continuous improvement included devising new strategies and new opportunities.
- Leads staff development initiatives that included training, development and succession planning.
- Fosters an atmosphere of innovation to challenge the team to think creatively, especially when it relates to positive customer experience opportunities.
- Coordinates Lab Safety requirements.
- Oversees to the maintenance of ISO 17025.
- Participates and oversees the annual budget. Determines funds required for personnel, equipment, materials and supplies. Adjusts with volume.
- Performs related and ancillary duties as assigned.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS | EDUCATION:
- Master's degree in a chemical or biological discipline. 3-5 years of Forensic Toxicology laboratory Experience. Minimum 3 years of Management experience required.
- Possession of, or eligibility for, certification by the State of California Department of Public Health as a Title 17 Forensic Alcohol Analyst or Forensic Alcohol Analyst Trainee.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft word, excel and smart sheet Good time management skills and attention to detail
- Master's degree in forensic toxicology or forensics from an institution accredited in forensic science or forensic toxicology.
- Prior experience performing similar duties in an accredited forensic toxicology laboratory.
- Experience in Evidence presentation for court proceedings.
- Current recognition as a Forensic Alcohol Analyst under Title 17.
- Customer Focus
- Strong ethics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical Skills
- Team player
- Interpersonal Skills
- Drives for results
- High level of attention to detail
- Confidence in work results
Depends on experience
How to apply
Please apply using the link below https://abbott.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/abbottcareers/job/United-States---California---Santa-Rosa/Head--Forensic-Toxicology-Lab_31044221