The Latent Print Examiner will document, evaluate, analyze, and preserve custody of friction ridge evidence, utilizing various comparison techniques. He/she will conduct computer database searches, updating and modifying information in databases as appropriate. The successful applicant will utilize methods and equipment for the enhancement of latent print evidence. He/she will compose and/or complete supplemental reports and provide documentation of analysis to investigative units on the status of latent print evidence, and transport evidence and/or property to storage location and/or criminal court. The Latent Print Examiner will also assist other law information agencies in comparative analysis and may testify as an expert witness.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
The position requires a bachelor’s degree in a Physical or Forensic Science from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to the job. Certification as a Latent Print Examiner with the International Association for Identification (IAI) is strongly preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A minimum of three years’ experience in a forensic laboratory as a latent print examiner required. Direct Working Experience as a Latent Print Examiner may be considered in lieu of educational requirements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of latent print practice and procedure
- Knowledge of crime scene policy and procedure
- Demonstrated skill in oral and written communication
- Demonstrated skill in using computers and related software applications
- Demonstrated skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing work assignments
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle conflict and uncertain situations
- Demonstrated ability to work with frequent interruptions and changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective communications and working relationships with internal and external customers
Houston Forensic Science Center offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
How to apply
Interested applicants meeting the job qualifications may apply via our website, www.houstonforensicscience.org.