THE POSITION: Under direction of the Clinical Laboratory Scientist, will perform waived and moderate complexity tests in chemistry, endocrinology, toxicology, hematology, coagulation, urinalysis, general immunology, and bacteriological tests for examination, obtaining data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases; perform other related duties as required. Those excluded are moderate complexity tests requiring microscopy or in the specialty of immunohematology.
NEW HIRE/RETENTION/REFERRAL INCENTIVES: Subject to the applicable section of the SEIU 721 MOA 2019-2022, Amendment #6 (Secs. 3801 – 3803): In compliance with specific requirements, a regular employee may be eligible for an Employee Referral Incentive of $500. Distinguishing Characteristics: Medical Laboratory Technician differs from Clinical Laboratory Scientist I in that the latter is licensed to perform microscopic, manual procedures, and transfusion service testing.
AGENCY/DEPARTMENT: Health Care Agency – Ventura County Medical Center and may require travel to Santa Paula Hospital. The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future Regular (including Temporary and Fixed-Term), Intermittent, and Extra-Help vacancies within the Health Care Agency. There are currently four (4) Regular vacancies.
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OPENING DATE: February 22, 2022
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Performs a variety of tests in any or all of the fields of medical technology and clinical lab using manual equipment; operate and maintain manual equipment and automated, computer-controlled equipment; completion of technical testing/reporting in serology, microbiology, hematology, chemistry, special chemistry, and urinalysis;
- Performs venipuncture as required, shall not perform skin tests;
- Reports patient test results verbally and in writing to members of the medical and nursing staffs;
- Maintains quality control statistical data;
- Processes blood, urine samples and microbiological samples from patients, including entry/receipt of specimens in LIS, centrifugation, and distribution/sending to reference laboratories;
- Prepares specimens for transportation from collection sites at the main laboratory and for shipment to reference laboratories;
- Stains blood smears of biological specimens and Gram stains and streak culture plates;
- Receives and stores laboratory supplies, reagents, controls, and standards, and assist in maintaining inventory;
- Performs and maintains laboratory logs and records;
- Assists physicians in obtaining and staining bone marrow specimens;
- Receives specimens from collection sites at the main laboratory;
- Provides and promotes excellent customer service for all internal and external customers;
- Monitors room, refrigerator, freezer, incubator and water bath temperatures;
- Greets patients and answer phones;
- Performs record keeping, labeling and filing;
- Assists in the entry of reference laboratory results and verify patient demographic for specimens sent to California Department of Public Health (CDPH); and
- Performs other related duties as required.
These are entrance requirements to the examination process and assure neither continuance in the process nor placement on an eligible list.
- Completion of any education and experience pattern accepted by the California Department of Health Care Services for licensure as a Medical Laboratory Technician.
- No experience required.
- Experience working in a Clinical Lab is desired.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Possession of a valid Medical Laboratory Technician license issued by the State of California Department of Health Services.
- Incumbents must be able to work in a fast-paced work environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations.
- Frequent exposure to body fluids, infectious specimens, and other conditions common to the clinical laboratory.
- Frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying and speaking.
- Occasional sitting, reaching, bending and stooping.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 25 lbs.
- Frequent use of computer, keyboard, copy, fax machine, and phone.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of: the standardized tests performed in Hematology, Serology, Chemistry, Automated Blood Bank, Microbiology, and Urinalysis.
- Working ability to: perform bacteriological, serological, biochemical, hematological and parasitological tests; follow oral and written instructions; conduct clinical laboratory tests according to established procedures and within acceptable quality control standards; document and maintain clear and concise laboratory records and logs; establish and maintain effective working relationships with professionals, medical staff, patients, and customers; read and understand procedures including those related to specimen collection, processing; testing; shipping; analyzer maintenance and operation; perform arithmetic calculations and measurements; work effectively with others, recognize and be sensitive to diverse cultural backgrounds and lifestyles; comply with HIPAA regulations and perform duties using automated Laboratory Information System, computers and related software.
This position may be subject to State Health Officer Orders regarding vaccine verification and/or testing. These requirements are a condition of employment. Depending on assignment and work location(s), successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination and/or booster against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process.
$62,074.29 - $86,946.43 / Annually
How to apply
This is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time; therefore, apply as soon as possible if you are interested in it. Your application must be received by County of Ventura Human Resources no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
To apply on-line, please refer to our web site at www.ventura.org/jobs. If you prefer to fill out a paper application form, please call (805) 654-5129 for application materials and submit them to County of Ventura Human Resources, 800 South Victoria Avenue, L-1970, Ventura, CA 93009.
Note to Applicants: It is essential that you complete all sections of your application and supplemental questionnaire thoroughly and accurately to demonstrate your qualifications. A resume and/or other related documents may be attached to supplement the information in your application and supplemental questionnaire; however, it/they may not be submitted in lieu of the application.
If presently permanently employed in another "merit" or "civil service" public agency/entity in the same or substantively similar position as is advertised, and if appointed to that position by successful performance in a "merit" or "civil service" style examination, then appointment by "Lateral Transfer" may be possible. If interested, please click here (Download PDF reader) for additional information.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE – qualifying: All applicants are required to complete and submit the questionnaire for this exam AT THE TIME OF FILING. The supplemental questionnaire may be used throughout the exam process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications and acceptability for the position. Failure to complete and submit the questionnaire may result in the application being removed from consideration.
APPLICATION EVALUATION - Pass/Fail: An application evaluation will be conducted to determine whether or not each applicant possesses the required licensure and certification for this recruitment. Those candidates who do will be placed on the eligible list.
Applicants successfully completing the exam process may be placed on an eligible list for a period of one (1) year.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: A thorough pre-employment, post offer background investigation which may include inquiry into past employment, education, criminal background information and driving record may be required for this position. For further information about this recruitment, please contact Erin Niemi at email@example.com or by telephone at (805) 654-2568.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The County of Ventura is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.