This award is in recognition of the contributions made by Maureen Casey Owens to the field of Forensic Document Examination. Ms. Casey Owens served in several capacities in the Questioned Documents Section of the AAFS. She also served on the AAFS Executive Committee, and was the 1984-85 President. Ms. Casey Owens is the only person to have served concurrently as President of AAFS and the American Society of Questioned Document Examiners, Inc. (ASQDE).
- The candidate must be a member (Fellow, Member, Associate, Trainee, or Student) of the Questioned Documents Section of AAFS.
- In the event of multiple authorship, only a single author will be eligible for the award. Usually, this will be the lead or presenting author, or an author agreed upon by the author group.
- A panel, appointed by the Section Chair and Section Secretary, will decide the award based on a numerical scoring system. Members of the panel shall be, at minimum, AAFS QD Section members, and shall have no conflicts of interest in any of the papers or posters being presented.
- It is anticipated that the award will be presented annually. However, if no papers or posters meet the established minimum points threshold decided upon by the awards panel, no award will be given.
- The award will be comprised of a plaque and a waiver of meeting registration (not including special sessions) for the following year’s meeting. The winner of the award shall be notified by e-mail, and an announcement will be made in the AAFS Newsfeed online.