The Questioned Documents Section is currently accepting nominations for the Ordway Hilton Award. This purpose of this award is to recognize sustained superior contributions to the Questioned Documents Section, the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS), and the forensic science community. The award is named in honor of Ordway Hilton, a longtime member of the Questioned Documents Section of the AAFS.
The award criteria are as follows. The nominee should:
- Be a Member, a Fellow, or a Retired Fellow of the Questioned Documents Section for a minimum of three (3) consecutive years when this award is bestowed.
- Have attended a minimum of one-half of the Questioned Documents Section annual business meetings in the six (6) years preceding the nomination.
- Have presented a scientific paper, poster, participated as a presenter in a joint or plenary session, or presented a breakfast seminar or workshop at an annual meeting of the AAFS within five (5) years of being nominated.
- Have published at least once in the Journal of Forensic Sciences. Publication can be, but is not limited to, any of the following: article, letter, technical note, or case history report.
- Have served in an elected position within the section, in an official AAFS capacity for at least one (1) year, as a committee chair for the Questioned Documents Section for at least one (1) year, or as a member of a committee(s) for at least three (3) years.
- In the absence of one of the section or AAFS activities (criteria 3, 4, or 5), nominees may be considered if they have made a significant contribution to the forensic science community that is not reflected by a specific section or AAFS effort.
Please submit your nominations by August 30, via an email outlining the nominee's qualifications for this award, to the Awards Committee Chair, Ted Burkes, at email@example.com.
The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.