The AAFS Diversity Outreach Committee (DOC) and Board of Directors (BOD) recognize the concerns of our LGBTQ+ members and we want to ensure our membership that we are committed to providing a safe and inclusive professional environment. The AAFS currently works with a firm to aid in the selection of meeting sites and locations. Numerous factors are taken into consideration when choosing a location, and we attempt to choose locations that promote gender/gender identity, LBGTQ+ rights, and racial equality. Unfortunately, legislative changes that impact these human rights are not always predictable. The AAFS has taken steps to foster a welcoming, safe, and supportive environment, regardless of the geographic location, and will continue to provide information that will allow our membership and meeting attendees to make informed decisions and the most of their meeting experience.
Additionally, the DOC is working with the AAFS Staff to develop a web page on the AAFS official website. When the page is live, the BOD will make an announcement and members will be able to check out events, activities, information, and other news about DOC activities. In the meantime, please review the options below and stay tuned for meeting updates distributed through the weekly Academy Newsfeed as they become available.
- The AAFS will be providing items for sale in the AAFS store; pick yours up, along with a free diversity ribbon, and show your support.
- Add your pronouns to your name badge at the annual meeting.
- Attend the DOC Evening session on Tuesday night focused on supporting LBGTQ+ persons in STEM. This reception was very well-received last year, and we look forward to a larger response this year in Orlando.
- Contact the DOC and let us hear from you. Committee members are listed on the website.
- Orlando is known worldwide for being a welcoming and inclusive environment for all sexual orientations and gender identities. AAFS will be providing a list of websites, restaurants, shopping, and more for the membership to check out while in Orlando. Be sure to keep a copy handy during the conference.
- Donate to your favorite charity or the Forensic Science Foundation in support of one of our student initiatives.
- Visit Equality Florida, https://www.eqfl.org/ to see the latest news and updates from Equality Florida Action, Inc.
- The AAFS also plans to use the conference center to highlight support for our LGBTQ+ members.
- Check out the local Orlando restaurants HERE.
The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.