Forensic Nursing Science Section—Moving Forward 2023–24
From Our 2023 Business Meeting:
- Section Secretary — Amy Carney provided an interview for the FNSS web page
- Our reception was held in conjunction with the General Section
- Awards presented at the business meeting were:
- Virginia Lynch Nurse Innovator Award — Patricia Speck, DNSc
- Forensic Nurse Scientist Award — Julie Valentine, PhD
Our section began with 46 members: 9 Fellows, 7 Members, 27 Associate Members, and 4 Retired Fellows. We now have 26 new Members for a current membership of 72.
Several international attendees attended the business meeting as well as FNSS presentations.
The Policy & Procedure Manual (PPM) is a very important guide for everyone as it delineates the responsibilities of chairs, co-chairs, and members and what they should be doing over the course of the year. There is an Academy PPM and we also have a section PPM.
Financial Report: The section was given $2,000 as seed money as a new section. Our budget grows by members (% of our dues), by donations, and through workshops at the Academy conferences. Vendor support is welcome. This year we had a $2,500 donation from ger911.com — a company that provides sexual assault kit tracking. We also had a donation from Amanda Sozar of SNA International.
How you can become involved:
- Update your personal profile so it is available to the section leadership
- Section Volunteer opportunities:
- Awards Committee: Chair — Diana Faugno, MSN
- Membership Committee: Chair — Stacy Drake, PhD, MPH, RN
- Reception Committee: Chair — Katherine Scafide, PhD (we need a co-chair)
- Program Committee: Chair — Kelly Berishaj, DNP; Co-Chair — Laura La Cagnina, DNP, MSN, RN
- The Program Committee is always looking for volunteers to review abstracts and to schedule moderators for the various sessions during the meeting
- Abstracts — reviewers
- Workshops — moderators and attendance recorders
- Breakfast/Lunch presentations
- Case presentations
- Nominating: Chair — Nancy Cabelus, DNP(must be a Fellow for this committee)
Ad hoc committees:
- Research Committee: Chair — Victor Petreca, PhD, DNP
- Reference Committee:
- Newsfeed: Chair — Janet Barber; Co-Chair — Stacey Mitchell, DNP, MBA
- Minutes Review Committee: Chair — Amy Carney, PhD
- Regional Representative Committee:
- Webpage career section created by members Carrie Edwards, RN, PhD and Deborah Stone, PhD
- Kristine Karcher, BSN: Academy Mentorship Committee
- Carrie Edwards, RN, PhD: Representative for AAFS Connect Committee
- Jessica Volz, DNP: Lead for the Interdisciplinary Session
- Sylvia Perez, BSN: Representative for the Diversity Outreach
We thank everyone who is a volunteer; their time is both precious and scarce.
Read the latest article of interest to nurses: Bogus Education Credentials by Bruce Sackman
The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.