I wish to express my deepest gratitude to all Forensic Nursing Science Section members and colleagues. Becoming the 12th AAFS discipline has brought us closer together and provided us with a rich environment to further the work of forensic nursing. Because of you, we have had a great year. Our section has 38 members and we added 26 members in 2023. In 2023, we had a strong Forensic Nursing Science Section Program with17 oral presentations and 4 poster presentations.
Two awards were presented:
- Virginia Lynch Nurse Innovator Award: Dr. Pat Speck
- Forensic Nurse Scientist Award: Dr. Julie Valentine
Answering the call from President Ken Williams for each discipline to submit to Justice Talks, section member Julie Valentine submitted in October: the reality of "what happens to sexual assault kits?" once they are submitted to the crime lab for processing; in reality, once a kit is received; no one tracked this information.
Several members extend their expertise beyond the section. Our Academy liaisons are:
- Mentorship Committee: Kris Karcher, Liaison
- AAFS Connect Committee — Carrie Edwards, Representative
- Interdisciplinary Session — Jessica Volz, Chair
- Diversity Outreach Committee — Sylvia Perez
- International Affairs Committee — Virginia Lynch
We received three donations last year:
Vendor Support Received: GER911; Amanda Sozar; SNA International
As we approach Thanksgiving, please take this time to thank your family and colleagues for their support throughout the year.
See you in Denver!
The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.